In this tutorial I will show you how to create a layer in GIMP that you can use to quickly and easily change the colors of the mesh templates you are working with. This tutorial will use Meli Imako’s Rigged Mesh Slit Down Long Dress, available Here.
Download UV_MI_Slit Down Long Dress
From your Second Life inventory, open: UV_MI_Slit Down Long Dress.
Save as PNG to your hard drive.
Download SM_MI_Slit Down Long Dress
Repeat with the texture: SM_MI_Slit Down Long Dress.
Un-check Single-Mode Window to make it easier to combine files.
Uncheck Single-Mode Window.
Drag Layer from Un-Docked file to the other.
1. Click on un-docked file to make it active.
2. Click on Layer, and Drag and Drop onto other file.
In this case, my UV map was undocked, and dropped onto the SM file. It doesn’t matter which you do.
Re-Order Layers if necessary
Re-Order Layers if necessary so SM_MI_Slit Down Long Dress is on top, and UV_MI_Slit Down Long Dress is on the bottom.
Hide SM_MI_Slit Down Long Dress.
Create Color Layer
1. Make UV_MI_Slit Down Long Dress.png Active
2. Duplicate this layer – Name the copy: Color Layer
3. Hide UV_MI_Slit Down Long Dress.png
4. Right Click Color Layer.
5. Add Alpha Channel
Use Fuzzy Select Tool to Select, and Delete Black Background
1. Color Layer active.
2. Use Fuzzy Select Tool,
3. to Select contiguous black background.
4. Invert Selection (Ctrl I)
5. Change Foreground or Background to color of your choice,
6. Edit Fill with that color.
Export to TGA Format
1. File Export
2. Select File Type: TarGA image